Humanists of North Alabama News! 2017-10-11
Food for thought: “The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Sunday, October 15: 2:00-3:30 pm: Monthly meeting – we are meeting at the Huntsville Public Library on Monroe Street in Huntsville, room A/B (to the right of the lobby). In light of all the national tragedies (natural and man-made), how to we cope? How do we care? How do we comfort and help? And maintain our sanity — all in a reasoned and rational way.
- Monday, October 23: 6:00-7:30pm: Philosophy Café. Open discussion on philosophical topics continues on the fourth Monday of each month. This month we are meeting at “Sam & Gregs” at 119 Northside Square. An assortment of pizzas, gelato, and beverages are available for purchase (and to lubricate discussion). New faces are always welcome!
- Sunday, November 12: 2:00- 4:00 pm: Non-Fiction Readers Book Discussion Group, meets on the 2nd Sunday of each month. New discussion participants always welcomed! Please join us at the Huntsville Public Library on Monroe Street in Huntsville, room A/B (to the right of the lobby). This month is an open discussion on what everyone is reading and recommending
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.”
― Barack Obama
The Humanists of North Alabama discussion group as a closed facebook group to talk about Humanism in Alabama. Let us know if you’d like an invite.
Our events can be found
- on our Meetup group:
- on our FaceBook page:
- on our web page:
Other community events:
NAFA: North Alabama Freethought Association:
(see their Meetup page at http://www.meetup.com/thenafa/ for changes and cancellations)
- 3rd Friday of each month at 6:30 PM – NAFA dinner
- Every Saturday at 10:00 am to noon – Coffee at Angel’s Island Coffee, 7538 Memorial Pkwy SW, Huntsville, AL
- Every Sunday at 10:00 am to noon – Coffee at Bruegger’s Bagel Bakery, 347 Hughes Rd, Madison, AL
MAAF Redstone (Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers) affiliate group
- MAAF Redstone is for active duty military, veterans, spouses and supportive civilians. Join the conversation on Meetup at http://www.meetup.com/MAAF-Redstone-Meetup/ or join the closed group on MAAF Redstone Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/305467142954231/
- Currently on summer break from meeting
If you received this email from a friend and want to be added to the distribution list, send an email to me at email@example.com.
Suggestions for events, meeting venues, topics are always welcome!
Humanists of North Alabama is an official Chapter of the American Humanist Association. Membership in the AHA is strongly encouraged!
“I’m starting to think this world is just a place for us to learn that we need each other more than we want to admit.” ― Richelle E. Goodrich, Smile Anyway